<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, March 20, 2006

Les Lumieres



I've been kicking myself for almost a year about my missed opportunities seeing The Arcade Fire in concert. I was too late, I'll admit it. I tried to get into their album in Virgin Oxford Street on 30 second samples. It didn't work - the immensity and genius of their sound cannot be fully be appreciated with Ciara blaring in the background. Alas, it worked for me eventually and became my (and seemingly everyone else's) favourite album of 2005. Richard Parry (Guitar / Percussion / Helmet / Backing Vocals / Upright Bass / Keyboards / General Mayhem) is also a member of Bell Orchestre, an instrumental five-piece also based in Montreal. On their first ever European Tour they paid a visit to Berlin's stately Roter Salon.

Their stage show is enchanting. They entered through the crowd, dressed purely in white with blue lightbulbs between their clothes and their skin, a brass duet being played as they walk up the carpeted steps to the venue's stage. It sent the tone for evening - majestic, profound, passionate, beautiful, strange. Their music doesn't need lyrics - the soundscapes speak inexplicable but entirely comprehendable emotions. Clear is the bands love for touring together, discovering new cities, but most notably the music they play. After they played Recording a Tape they expressed their gratitude that the audience had listened so intently, and told how angry they felt as they played it in Torino where the crowd were a little too chatty. Attention is exactly what they deserve, and moreso, makes the gig all the better for the punter. I wish I could even pretend to know more about their kind of music, but I feel last night was a gateway of sorts into a wider world of music that I'd listen to by choice. Hmmm. Something to think on!

In the meantime, check out their myspace to hear some of their songs/get news/etc.

posted by Unknown at 3/20/2006 12:42:00 am

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
[url=http://anzgbhde.com/rqfn/azby.html]My homepage[/url] | [url=http://zlbxkuoj.com/givn/tigg.html]Cool site[/url]

23/7/06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done!
My homepage | Please visit

23/7/06  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good design!
http://anzgbhde.com/rqfn/azby.html | http://lfzzptkp.com/wfzr/sbzs.html

23/7/06  

Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?